What is cogeneration?
Cogeneration is a modern and increasingly popular solution used, among other things, in district heating systems such as industrial boilers.
It is a process involving simultaneous generation of electricity and heat. This solution allows the recovery of waste heat from previous processes, which provides a variety of benefits.
Cogeneration in industrial boilers
Cogeneration works well in the context of industrial boiler operation and heat recovery during the process. The main advantages of this solution are:
- more efficient use of fuel
- reduced cost of energy production
- ecological nature of the boiler (thanks to the use of waste flue gas, the boiler reduces its greenhouse gas emissions)
- possibility to use a more compact boiler design
Implementation and operating principle
The implementation of recovering the energy contained in flue gas from cogeneration engines/aggregates through cogeneration requires special design solutions. These are mainly implemented in two forms:
- Heat recovery steam boilers
- Hybrid boilers